[CAUT] Tuning the rear duplex

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 1 07:20:04 MDT 2007

Hi Andrew

I get the sense you are trying to set the tension on the back length
outside of what its actual length allows for given the pitch you want
for the speaking lengths.

IHMO there is quite a bit less actually known and shown to be true about
what the back duplex length does and doesn't then there is opinion.  And
much of the opinion out there strikes me as plagued with self
contradiction.  So I suggest just keep experimenting on your own and
keep asking yourself questions.

A bit of experimenting  I've done shows more to my own satisfaction that
the pitch of the back lengths relative to the speaking length most
definitely can have an impact on the overall sound, and that the back
length tension (if well within tension parameters for the string as a
whole) remains quite stable when adjusted... more so seemingly then the
speaking length... which strikes me as odd.  This said.. I've no hard
data and complete objective study to back this up with, which puts my
observations in the category of casual at this point.  Still, seems
pretty clear to me that there is potential for adjusting the overall
sound picture of the instrument here.

You can pretty easily find out what the back length with tolerate (with
regards to stability) by making large changes in the speaking length
tension.  Just check before and after status of the pitch in the back
length to see when it changes.  Large changes in the speaking tension
can have negative impacts (wear and tear) on the front termination
tho... so I wouldn't advise making a general practice of that.

Cheers
RicB

    Continuing this thread...

    I checked a Steinway D at one school and the rear duplex was tuned to
    the speaking length fundamental for the last few notes.  At another
    school the rear duplex ranged from a minor 2nd to a major second for
    those same last few notes.  I tried tuning them and managed to pull
    the major second one down to a 1/4 tone sharp after tuning the
    speaking length.  It wouldn't stay down and I'm wondering about
    stability for the speaking length now.  I'm guessing this one is
    going to need some moving to tune a little closer.

    Observations?

    Andrew Anderson