[CAUT] Slob tunings that improve by themselves

Gary Mushlin gmushlin at kc.rr.com
Tue Jun 19 07:51:36 MDT 2007

Yes, but nothing that I would admit to...

Dennis Kirk, a prominent PTG member years ago—I'm not sure if he is
still around—gave a class on how to "mistune" a piano in anticipation
of a season change. At first, I thought doing something like that was
not in the best interest of the profession and I would not even
consider it. Apparently from the lack of response to your inquiry,
not too many technicians think much of this either. However, after
much thought and years of experience, I can see that there are
circumstances where this might be useful. One example might be where
you are forced to tune a piano just before the big midwest season
change from winter to summer, and you know it will not be tuned again
for another year, or at least several months. This piano is in a
situation where you are just trying to keep the piano from sounding
bad, and  avoid major complaints after the season change. While I
don't intentionally mistune the piano, I just don't bring it up all
the way, leaving some areas flatter than others. I reverse the
process going from summer to winter.  I know the piano will sound
better in a month than if I tuned it properly. Also, it helps if the
piano sounds better than when you started, since the people using it
will notice an improvement, which is also what I'm trying to accomplish.

I've not tried intentionally using offsets. I wouldn't know how much
to offset and still have it sound decent enough for the present. I
figure the way I do it, I'm letting the piano decide. I am still
leaving the octaves relatively beatless, but stretched more in the
places where the stretch will decrease after the weather change.
Admittedly, the way I do it, the piano still doesn't sound good after
the weather change; it just doesn't sound as bad as it otherwise
would. I'm amazed how many people cannot notice the beating octaves
where the biggest change occurs in the piano, unless it is really bad.

I also would not know how to offset unisons. It seems you would
really have to know the piano to anticipate unisons going out. You
can accomplish this somewhat with the Scott Jones couplers, but I
have no situation where I care to use this.

Sincerely,
Gary Mushlin, MME, RPT