[CAUT] Slob tunings that improve by themselves

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Wed Jun 27 15:16:25 MDT 2007

Hi Mike,

I suppose some tuners do it and won't admit to it... especially when you
call it "slob tuning". <G>

I've taken convention classes where it was not "advocated", per se, but
a case was made for its possible use. One class was called
"Pre-Stressing Your Tunings". I won't mention the instructor's name.
Look up past institutes and you might find them.

Have I tried it? Yes. Do I espouse it? No. (Ditto Dave Porritt) However,
the class was convincing that in some circumstances you might want to
consider it. It seems the variance (slop) introduced was hardly
perceptible but the tuning "stretched" (not conventional use of the
word) in certain places which gave the perception of staying in tune
longer.

Jim Busby RPT