[CAUT] Slob tunings that improve by themselves

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Jun 18 10:16:49 MDT 2007

Mike:

No, I don't do any fudging on the tuning in anticipation of future
string wandering.  Our crew is sufficiently knowledgeable to know that
climate changes do affect pianos.  If they don't already know they are
pretty easily convinced.  I don't feel I have to defend a piano that was
tuned last month and has wandered.  I do have to defend what I just
tuned now.  If they see me pack up my tools and the piano isn't really
nice, that would be the difficult one to defend.  Saying I mistuned it
in anticipation of........would be suspect and sound like an excuse.

I don't think there's anything wrong about another approach.  I just
don't feel confident of what the weather is going to do, how much the
piano will change, where it will change, which direction it will change
to try to outguess it.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu