[CAUT] Steinway repetition center pin height

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Thu Jun 14 17:12:22 MDT 2007

[CAUT] Steinway repetition center pin heightI suppose it depends on whether you're happy with the blow distance and the relationship to the rest cushion which should be very little space. I was thinking more of the situation when you might want to raise the back foot to reduce lock up issues. This would throw the hammer center toward the player and up a slight bit. If one wanted to keep that center at the same place in the air you would need to lower the front foot thereby pivoting the whole stack on the hammer centerpin.
However, it seems that by moving both up that you have solved your problem(s) anyway. But notice that most of the factory mountings have a higher back foot. This helps avoid lock-up issues. I hope you have none.
 What happens to the capstan? I don't know why what you did helped, were you trying to compensate for an off spec bore? Or is your string height way off? Do you suspect or can you see that someone else may have planed the mounting blocks too much? Do you have enough capstan thread left? Will your capstans be aprox 1/2" at final regulation? Key height fits in the box? I'm sorry to leave with just questions but gotta go to KC. I may be able to establish email there but my experience with hotel systems is that it is a crap shoot so no point in promising to continue, but I would like to know how your final result works.
Chris Solliday