[CAUT] Steinway S damper timing problem

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jun 13 16:56:54 MDT 2007

Hi folks

Just got back from a visit to a fellow who purchased an older Steinway S
28XXXX number.  We had been out to look at it a few weeks back and it
seemed old but relatively ok.  He had moved it himself by setting it
flat on its underside on a trailer... legs and pedal lyre removed of
course.. but none of the trapwork levers removed.  I checked it out
again now to measure for new hammers / shanks... etc... and noticed that
the dampers started immediatly with key movement.  I dont remember this
being the case where we first looked at it.. but cant say for sure.
Just was wondering if any of you have any idea what could account for
this.  I checked everything I could think of relative to the pedals...
nothing causing anything there.  Only thing I could think of is that
somehow the key bed got jammed upwards a bit.... possible ???.  Could be
the dampers just have been regulated very wrong at some time... but they
all lift suspiciously even and dont seem all that worn out... dont
really know what to think

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
RicB