[CAUT] Steinway S damper timing problem

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jun 14 11:43:57 MDT 2007

Hi Greg

Thanks for the idea.  I dont think they are... had a quick look inside
the action cavity whilst reseting the pitman. I was there to measure a
few things for ordering new hammers and shanks really... so when I
noticed this problem I just had time for a few checks.  Looks actually
like either someone regulated the dampers really low at some point... or
for some reason the the keybed is just too high... unlikely this last
but you never know.

There is about tops 2 mm of lost motion between the damper tray and the
underlevers with the tray sitting on the dags if that gives anyone an idea.

Serial number is 287725, a bit old but the nicest sounding S I have run
into in a long while.  Diskant strings are 18.9 cm from the keybed..
same for the next section down. Tenor section is 19 cm, Bass is 19.8

Cheers
RicB

    Could the keyframe dags have broken allowing the
    action to sit higher making the key contact the damper lever earlier?

    At 06:56 PM 6/13/2007, you wrote:
     >Hi folks
     >
     >Just got back from a visit to a fellow who
     >purchased an older Steinway S 28XXXX number.  We
     >had been out to look at it a few weeks back and
     >it seemed old but relatively ok.  He had moved
     >it himself by setting it flat on its underside
     >on a trailer... legs and pedal lyre removed of
     >course.. but none of the trapwork levers
     >removed.  I checked it out again now to measure
     >for new hammers / shanks... etc... and noticed
     >that the dampers started immediatly with key
     >movement.  I dont remember this being the case
     >where we first looked at it.. but cant say for sure.
     >Just was wondering if any of you have any idea
     >what could account for this.  I checked
     >everything I could think of relative to the
     >pedals... nothing causing anything there.  Only
     >thing I could think of is that somehow the key
     >bed got jammed upwards a bit.... possible
     >???.  Could be the dampers just have been
     >regulated very wrong at some time... but they
     >all lift suspiciously even and dont seem all
     >that worn out... dont really know what to think
     >
     >Any thoughts ?
     >
     >Thanks
     >RicB

    Greg Newell