[CAUT] coupled motion and other myths

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:21:59 MDT 2007

I would love a project that would result in a bringing together of the words
we so loosely toss around and the concepts or postulates as I would call
them. Hopefully after trying to define some of the concepts they become
theorums that we can use to carry on decent discussions.

One another note. I was at the convention where Virgil Smith was going to
show the difference between one string and the drop in pitch when adding the
second string. Dr Sanderson was there to measure the difference and somehow
I was lucky enough to be sittting right next to him.

So Virgil played the checks that aurally, everyone in the room could hear
the difference. Then Dr Sanderson tried to measure it and there was no
difference. He changed the note he was reading, moving up the partial chain
and low and behold the note was flatter at the the 4th partial. At least I
think it was the 4th, may be the 3rd. Certainly some ETDs will not focus on
the proper partial so the operater has to override.

The change in the partial structure will certainly make a tuner alter his
tuning and I think that is the point Virgil was trying to make.

Keith Roberts