[CAUT] coupled motion and other myths

Richard Moody remoody at midstatesd.net
Wed Jun 13 23:59:55 MDT 2007

I am thinking about a research project hopefully resulting in an article, to
get interaction from piano technicians about  such concepts as, "coupled
motion"  "para inharmonicity", "longitudinal vibration" (did you really
understand that article in PTJ?), "reverse well", "well temperament", and
why the 3 string unison is flat from the first string tuned. I forget what
they call that but I have a tuning machine that shows it isn't true.

To understand this article I would to hear from technicians who do
understand it.

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/weinreic/strings.html

"It is interesting to note parenthetically the rather complicated beat
structure in Figs. 5 and 6, which is not precisely the same for the
vibration and the sound. Presumably, the discrepancy comes from the
horizontal modes, which contribute to the sound but not to the vertical
motion."

One glaring issue with the graphs in above, the data he presents comes 10
seconds after the note sounds.

If a mention of coupled motion in the above article could you point me to
it?  What does it say about the first 3 seconds of sound?

          My first impression of the articles was it was an inquiry and
suggestion about how someone might think about how to muddle about trying to
synthesize a piano sound for electronic keyboards.

   ---rmoody