[CAUT] coupled motion and other myths

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 11 03:24:21 MDT 2007

Hi Keith

I dont get it either. This one came out of the blue.  The coupled motion
of strings, and the related mechanics to the interaction between the
bridge and soundboard assembly and the vibrating string are really well
documented and the experimental material that backs them up done by a
series of music acousticians over a quite long period of time.  Its got
nothing to do with the also well documented short comings of ETD's...
which are no less then if you know what you are doing with them you can
arrive at a very high quality tuning with their aid.

If Richard has some kind of topical data, documentation, rationale etc
to back up any of this I would like to of course see it.  But I rather
doubt it.

Cheers
RicB

    I don't get some of this. I see nothing disproved. The coupled
    motion thing
    seems to be an issue of semantics as well as the para inharmonicity.
    I also
    disagree with the statement that tuning devices have shortcomings,
    They are
    just measureing devices and if there is a sound there, it measures
    it. How
    the data is interperted and used by the operator is where the
    shortcomings
    are. You know, a man can be a 5 time divorcee loser or a man who is not
    afraid to make a committment. Depends on how you word it.

    Keith Roberts