[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 15:38:51 MDT 2007

Our recital hall seats about half what the one you're consulting on
will.  Pianists have their choice of 3 nine footers (a marvelously
rebuilt  Stwy D, a Falcone, and a Bosendorfer), a Yamaha C-7 and a
Steinway B.  Except for accompanying less loud instruments (e. g., most
voices, most flutists, etc.), or where stage space is a concern (e. g.,
large ensembles), pianists always choose one of the nine footers.
Having a nine foot piano in a living room that is only slightly longer
than that is like driving a hearse to ensure that you do indeed have
the longest car on the block, but a nine footer is not "too much" for
this size hall.

That'll be 2 cents, ma'am,

Alan Eder