[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Jun 12 16:11:32 MDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:35 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm serving as a consultant to a local junior college that is
> building a new facility and purchasing instruments for it.  The
> recital hall will seat 350.  Even at this small size (well, small
> compared to other places I've worked), I would think it would be
> preferable to be looking at 9' pianos, compared to something in the
> 7' range.  I could be mistaken, though. (I'm a great consultant,
> hey?)  I've been told the acoustics will be good (that's what they
> all say...).  What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, IL

We are a school of music with ca 50 faculty and 400+ students.  We
have one recital hall, which seats a few under 200.

There are 2 Steinway Ds on the stage.

Actually, right now, 3, including Horowitz' piano (#503) on loan from
Steinway during our piano festival.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
Piano Technician