[CAUT] recital hall size/ piano size

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jun 12 15:06:26 MDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm serving as a consultant to a local junior college that is
> building a new facility and purchasing instruments for it.  The
> recital hall will seat 350.  Even at this small size (well, small
> compared to other places I've worked), I would think it would be
> preferable to be looking at 9' pianos, compared to something in the
> 7' range.  I could be mistaken, though. (I'm a great consultant,
> hey?)  I've been told the acoustics will be good (that's what they
> all say...).  What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, IL

I suspect a 7' would "fill the hall" with sound just fine. However, a
9' has it beat for bass, and for overall, how should I put it,
"harmonic integration," the sound of the whole thing put together.
And, hey, the street price institutions pay for a 9' isn't that much
higher than 7'. I'd advise a 9'. (We have a recital hall seating 330,
and we have 2 Ds in it, FWIW). Also, from a pragmatic point of view,
your "touring artist" (or hotshot from the neighboring town) will
look askance at the 7'.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico