[CAUT] pre-stretching new string Wet vs Dry Soundboard

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Sun Jun 10 21:00:14 MDT 2007

On Jun 10, 2007, at 6:09 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

>> It is also why „stored tunings‰ don't work well in areas where
>> humidity
>> changes by more than a few percent.
>
>     I've read statements to that effect. I'm not sure it's true. The
> assertion is that real life inharmonicity readings (on which the
> FAC and RCT
> calculations are based, using slightly different means) vary with
> humidity.
> I have looked for a pattern and haven't found one. Have you? Has
> anyone?

I've heard the numbers change with humidity too.  We have some pretty
distant extremes here in SC and I've never measured enough difference
in FAC to worry over.  I've used the same FAC for my concert grand
since I bought my SATIII 5 years ago, and I notice very little
differences in the results.  Sometimes the midrange seems a little
more stretched than others, but that may not be the fault of the
SAT.  In fact, both our concert grands measured the same for F and A,
but C was different, and I use the same page for both with no problems.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina