[CAUT] pre-stretching new string Wet vs Dry Soundboard

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 10 17:20:41 MDT 2007

Hi Fred

You are correct, this is what para is about.  But it is caused much as
Don describes.  This is all in the Five Lectures available at the
Swedish PTA site.

I'm not sure however whether all this can or can not be applied to the
idea that a soundboards stiffness can be changed enough in general to
account for any real amount of the pitch change we see in pianos... but
the idea is interesting and I am looking forward to whatever may come up
on this line of thought.

Cheers
RicB

    There are often occasions where a partial or more in those ladders
    appears
    somewhere it shouldn't be according to an even curve (predicted
    value). I
    thought _that_ was what Dean called para-inharmonicity.

    Fred Sturm