[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 10 17:14:53 MDT 2007

Grin... Hi Bob.  Wonderfully put last paragraph there.  Aint it the
truth !  I in turn very much appreciate the wording of your first
paragraph.  Indeed, in the end... all this is about what any given
person thinks at any given time gives the best results.... and there is
far more magic in that world then many of the numbers guys want to
admit.  I'm reminded about a not too distant past post in which someone
complained that pianists didnt respond positively to a particular piano
which evidently had been built by all the right numbers.

Cheers
RicB

     > I dont try at this point to explain this or related questions.

    I appreciate this comment from Ric.  It doesn't bother me a fig to admit
    that I just don't know why.  My experience also suggests that having
    plausible explanations usually has little or no influence on what I
    do in
    the shop.  I've done plenty of research and analysis over the years,
    which
    has been useful in understanding what the options are.  But in the
    end, I
    usually toss it all and do what seems best.

    I think we should avoid going the way of today's climate
    scientists.  They
    have unbelievable tools to play with, and can generate and crunch huge
    mounds of data.  The problem I have with them is that they expect us to
    believe they know how to predict the climate when they can't even
    forecast
    the weather.

Bob Hohf