[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 10 05:00:15 MDT 2007

The degree any string changes tension due to a change in length to any
of its segments is calculated by the formula given by Dr. Galembo. I've
posted this several times now.  Again. it is

 Change in Tension = (E*S*Change in Length) / Original length.

Where E is Youngs modulus and S is the cross section of the string.

You first figure the length change, then figure the change in tension,
then add the change of tension to the original tension... then with both
the new tension and new length you can figure change in pitch.  This
works for plain wire.  If you actually apply this formula find out what
kinds of things need to happen to a given string for it to experience
the kind of pitch changes we observe... you immediately see that the
pitch changes we see at the tenor bridge have no (at present) good
explanation.

Cheers
RicB

    The degree to which a string goes out of tune will be a function of
    the break point percentage (BPP) when it is at pitch (thanks Ron N.
    for clarifying that).  The lower the BPP, the greater the change in
    pitch for a given change in length.  The top end of the bass section
    is generally considerably higher BPP than the low tenor, and the low
    tenor is usually the lowest BPP in the entire piano and thus goes
    out of tune the most with seasonal changes.

    David Love