[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Jun 10 17:30:48 MDT 2007

On 6/10/07 10:46 AM, "Bob Hohf" <rhohf at centurytel.net> wrote:

> I think we should avoid going the way of today's climate scientists.  They
> have unbelievable tools to play with, and can generate and crunch huge
> mounds of data.  The problem I have with them is that they expect us to
> believe they know how to predict the climate when they can't even forecast
> the weather.

    Actually, I have the opposite take: They are actively gathering enormous
mounds of data of all sorts and working to put it all together into an,
admittedly, impossibly complex system. When it comes to a relatively simple
thing like pianos and humidity change and pitch change, we mostly just spout
based on anecdotal evidence, and/or calculations (some based on reliable
formulae and models, others suspect, to say the least), and we do next to no
real hard gathering of data. I would love to see even a minimal emulation of
today's climate scientists with respect to pianos<G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico