[CAUT] restrung D

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 16 17:35:36 MDT 2007

> Hi Ron,
> No, not intended for production in any but the 275, and perhaps 220. He
> made that clear to me as well. Certainly well out of reach of us average
> Joes. But an intriguing experiment.

Intriguing indeed. Looked cool too.

>     I'm guessing your take on all this is that if you make the bridge
> (or most of its top half) hygroscopically inactive, by doing the epoxy
> thing, that bridge pin problem goes away - no more string abrading up
> and down on it seasonally. So no need to look for a harder material.

Yes, that's part of it. The other part is that the cap is
considerably more dent resistant in the bargain.

>For
> those of us not going so far as recapping bridges, though, it seems like
> a harder pin would be nice. Might reduce the tendency to noise and slop
> a bit over time.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

The harder pin should resist the wear from the string better,
surely, but I'm not sure that is such a big problem. The cap
would still crush, and the pins would still loosen and
flagpole, producing beats, regardless of the presence or
absence of string damage on the pin surface. I'm not so sure
the harder pins are a net gain unless they improve tone
noticeably. Do they, by themselves? A CA (or epoxy if you can
do it) soaked cap doesn't react hygroscopically to nearly the
extent that a clean solid cap will, which helps matters when
retaining the original cap, whatever is used for pinning.

FWIW
Ron N