[CAUT] restrung D

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 16 16:52:07 MDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 3:34 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>> Does it have titanium pins and ebony cap? I think the titanium was
>> an experiment in 2005 (Ulrich showed one in KC, and I believe he
>> said it was the only one that had them so far, or maybe the second).
>
> At that time, he told me it wasn't likely to become a production
> feature, since the pins cost him more than it did to produce the
> rest of the piano. He might have been kidding, but...
>
> Ron N
Hi Ron,
No, not intended for production in any but the 275, and perhaps 220.
He made that clear to me as well. Certainly well out of reach of us
average Joes. But an intriguing experiment.
	I'm guessing your take on all this is that if you make the bridge
(or most of its top half) hygroscopically inactive, by doing the
epoxy thing, that bridge pin problem goes away - no more string
abrading up and down on it seasonally. So no need to look for a
harder material. For those of us not going so far as recapping
bridges, though, it seems like a harder pin would be nice. Might
reduce the tendency to noise and slop a bit over time.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu