[CAUT] Experiment success!

David Porritt dporritt at smu.edu
Tue Apr 3 16:05:08 MDT 2007

Paul:

I've used fabric softener on hammers where there was no other choice and it
worked quite well.  I haven't seen any green stuff, nor any corrosion on
strings.  I have used a hair dryer to make sure the hammers were dry before
I used them.  I wouldn't want to put the wet stuff on the strings though I
don't have any experience doing that.  It just seemed unnecessary.

On the older instruments - bring them on!  Compare the cost of rebuilding vs
replacing and your administrators will think you're a hero.  The piano
dealer probably won't.  Good pianos made with good materials and rebuilt by
competent rebuilders is both less expensive and produces better instruments.
That's our plan.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu