[CAUT] Experiment success!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Apr 3 15:37:05 MDT 2007

Maybe it's just the lack of testing on strings.  I will uncover the
string, still in the goo and see what happens.  It does dry and I have put
it on at the end of the day.  Maybe that could be a factor.  It is really
interesting to see the different opinions on it.  Do the hammers wear out
faster with it? Does dry softener still have an effect on the string? Is
the hammer felt doomed to fall apart for lack of proper tension? Or are we
just flirting with disaster?  Perhaps if schools of music would just
realize that more work has to be done to pianos than they thought, maybe
funding changes might occur?  I doubt that would happen!

 Let us all rally to further educate our schools and faculty that pianos
wear out.  I'm working with a piano older than my father (b. 1922).  I
think the makers of this fine instrument would be amazed that it lasted
this long, let alone that it has been played 10 -1 2 hours per day for the
last 20 years or more!  Any more thoughts are surely welcome!

Thanks

Paul

Jeff Tanner <jtanner at mozart.sc.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org