[CAUT] Experiment success!

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 5 06:16:40 MDT 2007

Subject: Re: [CAUT] Experiment success!

On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

Jeff

You'll find no corrosion on the wire. Corrosion happens when metal is

exposed to moisture AND air. So for your experiment to work, dampen

the wire with Downy and let it just sit there. But I'm afraid that

will not give you the results you're looking for anyway. It's the

moisture in the Downey that causes the wire to corrode. Not

necessarily the chemicals.

Wim

. It is very possible that there are also acids in the Downy that could
instigate corrosion. I'm no chemist, and I don't know. I just recall the
discussion and the conclusion was to recommend against using fabric
softener.

Jeff

Has anyone experienced corrosion of metal fasteners, i.e. copper
rivets-metal buttons, because of the use of a fabric softener?

Paul C