[CAUT] glue sizing bushings

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 19 13:41:52 MDT 2006

An addendum to my just sent post: It only works if there is minimal wear,
and mostly just packing of felt. You can usually see wear in that the red
will wear through and you'll see the white core of the cloth (if it's that
kind of cloth). If there is wear on some, you want to replace those worn
bushings and address the cause: the pins. Those pins are likely nicked or
have plating problems. Replace them.
    In my standard procedure, I go rapidly through the pins while the keys
are out, at the minimum applying McLube with a rag, feeling for any
roughness. And I usually apply a drop of Prolube or Proteck CLP to the
bushing cloth before reinstalling the keys. This helps with longevity
(thanks to Newton for hammering that point home over the years).
    Bushings won't last forever, but they can be firm and free, feeling
pretty close to new, for a long time if you do this every so often (depends
on how hard the piano is used). This procedure is pretty fast, and well
worth the time IMO. Part of every minor recondition (file hammers, regulate,
that kind of thing).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico