[CAUT] Irwin bit

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Oct 16 14:11:06 MDT 2006

David,

I use a 1 1/8" hole saw for this operation. Hole saws usually have a ¼" pilot bit which can be drilled into the end of a wooden dowel that is the same diameter as the original pitman hole. This keeps the hole saw from wandering around everywhere until you get it started. I haven't seen the forstner type bit you are describing but if you could thread it onto a dowel it would work as a guide in much the same manner as the pilot bit in the hole saw.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati

________________________________

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of David Ilvedson
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 3:15 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org; caut at ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Irwin bit

List,

I usually use a forstner bit for retro-fitting pitmans in Steinways and other grands.   Problem is starting the forstner bit into the keybed.   I came across an Irwin 1&1/8" forstner type bit except with a threaded starter tip, about 3/4" long.   As I think about it now I suppose the starter tip wouldn't be of much help since it is going into the pitman hole...anyone used this bit for this repair?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044