[CAUT] Tight Jack Pinning

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Tue Nov 14 09:42:42 MST 2006

Ed Foote says a jack will move just as fast when pinned with 6 grams
friction as with zero friction.  (Ed, six grams measured where?)  All other
things being equal, no, that's not quite true, but it is true that it may
still move faster than it needs to move, i.e., as fast as it can clear the
knuckle.

But this is NOT what I'm talking about.  I AM talking about the thing being
so tight that it simply fails to repeat, regardless of repetition speed.
In fact, this type of failure is more apt to occur with slow soft playing
than it is with rapid forceful playing.  You may have fairly tight jack
pinning and great repetition at one time under fast repetition, but it may
later tighten up for whatever reason, and just simply fail at the worst
possible time.  The pianist will be playing a soft, slow, expressive
passage, and "PLOP".  The key will go down, and the backcheck will grab the
hammer tail.  I have had it happen, and so have others - even with jack
pinning that came straight from the factory.  I'll opt for a jack with some
safety margin that's free to move without being wobbly loose.

Jim Ellis