[CAUT] RE : Fortepiano stability

Robert A. Murphy Robert.Murphy at oberlin.edu
Tue Nov 14 17:22:42 MST 2006

Geoff,

"Stable" is the right word.  I've found that stable relative humidity
is the primary key to a stable fortepiano tuning.  However, in
concert/recording situations that feature these instruments (of which
I've done enough to pull just about every hair out of my head...) the
reality is that you must work with what you have.

The next word that comes to mind is "grooming".  We're talking about
trying to reason with a moving animal here!  Grooming the tuning
requires a slightly different thought process (and technique/s) than
locking-in a tuning on a modern concert grand.  Here's a general
approach I take to fortepiano/harpsichord tuning in concert situations.

1.  Get the instrument(s) into the hall - at least back stage - no less
than a full day before the performance (2 days is better).  In a pinch,
tuning an instrument in another room and moving it on stage within an
hour or less of the performance can do nicely if the hall's environment
is extreme from the where the instrument came from.
2.  I agree with Steve - see if the stage crew can "go easy" on the
spot lights shining directly on the instrument.
3.  Approach tuning a fortepiano like you would a pitch-adjustment on a
modern piano (i.e. go as fast as you reasonably can on the 1st and 2nd
passes and refine things only on the 3rd and subsequent "groomings";
take mental notes of what the tuning as a whole is doing - is treble
going sharp and bass flat, or vice-versa? - then compensate a little
for this movement in your next pass)
4.  On final pass, unisons are more important than octaves... or any
other interval for that matter.  If working on a 5-octave instrument,
on the final pass switch to a T-hammer (if you've been using a
goose-neck up to this point) and "flick" or tap the hammer back and
forth to help lock-in the unisons.  Also, when setting the string I
find a quick double- or triple-strike on the key works better than a
single hard blow.
5.  When really pinched for time, concentrate your final passes on the
temperament octave and then move from there to the the very top of the
instrument.  The tenor and bass can drift quite a bit without being
unsettling to 99% of the audience.
6.  Pitch is relative.  If the instrument is drifting wildly, go with
the median pitch that the instrument seems to be happiest with (any
large pitch adjustment of over a couple of beats per second should have
been done the day before the concert tuning).
7.  Temperament is also relative.  In a less-than-ideal humidity
setting, chances are good that your tuning will pass through SEVERAL
temperaments during the performance...
8.  PRAY!

Lastly, in your particular situation, if they can't give you a minimum
of 1 hour per piano (40 minutes might suffice if you have a really
stable RH) then see if they can move an instrument to the green room
where you can tune while whatever else is scheduled is happening on the
stage.  Then move it back on stage just before your scheduled time and
tweak it after you've gone through the other instruments, first.

My 2-bits...
Robert
Robert A. Murphy
Piano Technician & Curator of Fortepianos
Oberlin Conservatory of Music
cell:    517.285.3269
shop:  440.775.8275