[CAUT] Tired wippens

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 14 12:27:34 MST 2006

Hi List,

Here's an old question from a new CAUT:  When does one finally call it
quits on a set of wippens?  I'm working on an old Steinway M circa early
thirties with the tilted capstans.  I would doubt that the wippens are
original, but they are definately OLD, squeeky and has substantial amounts
of what Steve Brady calls "gradeau" (gunk) on the rep springs at the
rep-lever contact/rubbing points.  They also are "dented" in on the rep
lever/knuckle contact point.

Although it is only in a practice room, we don't have ooodles o dough to
replace the piano.  We can afford new wippens, or I can "doctor" them one
more time by cleaning and lubing all those parts which would be a lot of
invested time...Not much I can do about the dented rep/knuckle spot
though....

What do y'all think?

Thanks

Paul T. Williams