[CAUT] Differences?

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:22:37 -0700

Thanks Jeannie,=20

=20

Yes, it does help.=20

=20

I have tried to divide up the work evenly between all students and feel
I've been "fair" that way, but you mentioned something so obvious it
almost made me laugh. "Standing up" might make it easier for them to
tune. I haven't done that because I don't stand. If I stand I have to
slump over! My daughters aren't tall but are very musical. I've asked
them why they don't like to tune and they just say "It's too hard". What
I think we need here is a female tech! I think that is part of the
answer. Thanks for your insight.

=20

Jim

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jeannie Grassi
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 2:20 PM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Differences?

=20

Jim,

I'm assuming I may answer also.....?  I hope this long answer is more
interesting than boring.=20

=20

I was first drawn to this business because of the fascination I had with
the mechanical aspect of the piano.  So I adore shop work.  I never
thought I'd have trouble learning to tune because I had played the
violin from a very early age and had always had a "good ear."  I think
learning to tune was difficult for me in that my expectations were way
out of proportion with the realities of learning.  Like many musicians
coming into this work...I thought my "good ear" would make tuning a
snap.  But there were other factors.

=20

Here is another scenario I experienced and I've heard several women
technicians tell almost the same story. I also was not "allowed" to tune
in the shop where I was an apprentice because that was reserved for the
men in the shop.  I was needed to answer the phone, restock supplies,
clean the shop, and do menial repetitive and boring work.  It was clear
to me that I was perceived as a threat to their income.  It wasn't until
I realized that I could earn more by cultivating tuning clients that I
got serious about learning.  Then, when they told me they would teach
me, they only gave me a small amount of information, or in some cases,
misinformation, so that I would fail.   Needless to say, tuning did not
come easy for me because I wasn't being taught properly. When I finally
got some good training, I had to "unlearn" some of what I was told
originally.

=20

Sometimes we are drawn to what we've never had a chance to do before.  I
never was allowed to take shop in school...had to take Home Ec. instead.
I wanted to be in shop.  Working on pianos finally gave me the chance to
exercise the mechanical part of my brain.  It was new and exciting
because I'd always been denied the chance to work with tools and get
down and dirty!  :>)

=20

I don't think there are any inherent differences between men and women
in terms of abilities.....I've known too many excellent women tuners and
too many bad male tuners to make generalizations.  The only factor that
might make the learning process less than comfortable might be the upper
body and height differences.  I am short enough that I have to stand for
most tunings, except short uprights, and my arm strength and shoulders
just aren't as strong as a man's.  Even when I stand, for some tall
uprights, I don't have the advantage of coming down over the piano and
sometimes still must reach upward to the tuning pins. =20

=20

How tall are your daughters?  How musical are they?  What other things
have they learned to do with their hands...i.e. sewing, crafts, artwork,
woodworking, etc.?  How about temperament....who has more
patience....boys or girls?  I think personalities have a lot to do with
how we approach work and there are personality types in both genders. =20

=20

I think there are differences between the genders, but it would be
really hard to make any generalities.  I hope this sheds some light.

jeannie

=20

Jeannie Grassi, RPT

Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal

mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net <mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net>=20

=20