[CAUT] M & H model 50

Aaron Bousel abousel@comcast.net
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:50:38 -0500

It's not bobbling with a firm blow. It's not something you would pick
up on while tuning, for example. It's on a softer blow, the kind when
the key might not completely bottom out. It's not a matter of the
catcher not catching, i.e. the catcher hitting the backcheck and
bouncing off. As I said, it works fine on a medium or hard blow, and
that's in spite of the fact that the catchers and butt "leathers" are
not buckskin but some kind of brown cloth that some of the
manufacturers tried back in that era. The owner does not have the
money to do all that could be done, though I have made her aware of that.

Aaron

At 10:29 AM 1/15/2006, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/15/2006 12:23:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
>abousel@comcast.net writes:
>There is a Mason & Hamlin upright model 50 (vintage 1975) I service
>and at the last tuning the owner was complaining about bobbling
>hammers. The hammer pinning is very loose. I played around with the
>note that was bothering her the most and through a combination of
>repinning and strengthening the hammer return spring was able to all
>but eliminate the problem. The piano is in good regulation. Here's
>the issue: The action is really poorly made. 1975 was not exactly
>the golden age for these. In repinning the one I did, I could see
>that the flange bushing cloth was poor quality. It would be
>wonderful to replace the whole action, but that's not going to
>happen. Does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement hammer
>flanges? These flanges are different from the generic ones sold by
>piano supply houses. If that's not possible, I have to go with
>rebushing what's there. Any recommendations on a good source of
>flange bushing cloth? I know M&H are making these again. Anyone know
>if the action design is the same?
>
>thanks,
>Aaron
>
>Aaron.
>
>The problem might not be in the flange pinning. You need to figure
>out why it is bobbling. It could be that there is not enough key
>dip. Even taking out a .005" punching is sometimes enough to make a
>difference. Also check the condition of the catcher. Roughing it up
>a bit will give the back check something to grab a hold of. Try
>pushing the back check forward or back a little, and see if that
>will get it to check better.
>
>Wim
>Willem Blees RPT
>Piano Tuner/Technician