[CAUT] M & H model 50

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:29:14 EST

In a message dated 1/15/2006 12:23:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
abousel@comcast.net writes:

There is  a Mason & Hamlin upright model 50 (vintage 1975) I service and at
the last  tuning the owner was complaining about bobbling hammers. The hammer
pinning is  very loose. I played around with the note that was bothering her
the most and  through a combination of repinning and strengthening the hammer
return spring  was able to all but eliminate the problem. The piano is in good
regulation.  Here's the issue: The action is really poorly made. 1975 was not
exactly the  golden age for these. In repinning the one I did, I could see that
the flange  bushing cloth was poor quality. It would be wonderful to replace
the whole  action, but that's not going to happen. Does anyone know if it's
possible to  get replacement hammer flanges? These flanges are different from
the generic  ones sold by piano supply houses. If that's not possible, I have to
go with  rebushing what's there. Any recommendations on a good source of
flange bushing  cloth? I know M&H are making these again. Anyone know if the
action design  is the same?

thanks,
Aaron

Aaron.

The problem might not be in the flange pinning. You need to figure out why
it is bobbling. It could be that there is not enough key dip. Even taking out a
 .005" punching is sometimes enough to make a difference. Also check the
condition of the catcher. Roughing it up a bit will give the back check
something to grab a hold of. Try pushing the back check forward or back a  little, and
see if that will get it to check better.

Wim
Willem Blees  RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music