[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:55:48 -0600

I did this on a C-6 about six months ago, along with needles, and the
pianist was very pleased. HOWEVER I was very very conservative, like two
drops in the top up to about four in the bottom.    INterestingly I was in a
Don Manino voicing class at last convention I think, and they soaked a Kawai
hammer for an hour in alcohol water. It made the hammer balloon badly. But
with shaping, it sounded almost as good as the ones they voiced so carefully
the conventional way.  I voiced a piano for Olga Kern recently with Houston
Symphony, and having never voiced hammers UP, I called Yamaha.  This is
David Reed's response to my note of thanks.

Dear Mr. Bartlett

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I'm really glad everything worked
out so well for you.  We at Yamaha, and I personally, enjoy sharing
knowledge with others.  That way everyone benefits.  Even though I gave you
some information, YOU are the one who improved the piano and made it sing.
So, don't underestimate yourself.  If you ever need any other support, we
are always here at Yamaha Piano Service.

Thanks again

David M. Reed
Yamaha Corporation of America
Piano Service Manager
714-522-9277

He was very helpful and was decidedly against any alcohol and water stuff.
My sense is that really conservative use of the stuff only softens the very
top layers and doesn't get to the underlying part of the felt. Wetting it
enough to get all the way through has other costs. JMO.....  I'd sure put
pressure on the system, if possible, to use the Yamaha methods which they
recommend. That has authority behind it, and seems significant for such a
valuable instrument.....
les bartlett