[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:30:50 -0800

I wouldn't allow it.  That type of voicing is for extreme cases.  Needles
will work very nicely on that instrument and that process is controllable.
Water is not and neither is steam.  Nor does it accomplish what proper
voicing of that hammer is supposed to do.  It's a lazy man's way of taking
the edge off.  Suggest they call the Yamaha technical people and ask them
directly about water voicing their hammers.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Jeff
Stickney
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 4:51 PM
To: Caut
Subject: [CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

I have a Yamaha CFIII here at UM.  Because of a political situation too
complex to describe, an adjunct piano faculty here wants to bring in his
"personal technician" to voice and regulate the piano.  He wants to use
an alcohol/water solution on the hammers to voice.  The last piano he
did this on (a Kawai KG-2D) was turned to mush, and I am concerned that
is what would happen to our 9' Yamaha.  Do any of you have experience
using this solution on Yamaha hammers, and have they been good or bad?
Of course, I'm not happy about them bringing in this other "tech", but
it may be unavoidable due to the politics.  Thanks for any input.

Jeff Stickney
University of Montana