[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:46:25 +1100

At 5:50 PM -0700 6/1/06, Jeff Stickney wrote:

>I have a Yamaha CFIII here at UM.  Because of a political situation
>too complex to describe, an adjunct piano faculty here wants to
>bring in his "personal technician" to voice and regulate the piano.
>He wants to use an alcohol/water solution on the hammers to voice.
>The last piano he did this on (a Kawai KG-2D) was turned to mush,
>and I am concerned that is what would happen to our 9' Yamaha.

You can count on it.

>Do any of you have experience using this solution on Yamaha hammers,
>and have they been good or bad?  Of course, I'm not happy about them
>bringing in this other "tech", but it may be unavoidable due to the
>politics.  Thanks for any input.

I share your concern re applying alcohol/water to CFIII hammers. The
earlier CF pianos had 'concrete' hammers which could justify such
drastic measures if the hammers weren't being replaced altogether.
But the latest CF hammers use Wurzen felt. The proposed treatment
will ruin them. If you are having a difficult time it might be worth
warning the University what will happen to the hammers should this
'treatment' proceed.

You may have to just sit back and let the disaster happen, but at
least if you pre-warn the department, they won't be able to say they
weren't told. Besides, your sage-advice will probably get you the new
hammer hanging job.

Best regards,
Ron O.
--