[CAUT] Hearing Protection

Elwood Doss edoss@utm.edu
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:06:18 -0500

As I recall a couple of days.  Mine was not a headache, rather, an acute
sensitivity to the overtones of the strings.  It almost made me wince
and I thought at first it was a help to have my hearing that acute, but
decided it was not in my best interest to keep doing what caused the
problem.   My dad, who was a self-taught musician and singer-quite good
in his teens through thirties, by the way-worked in a machine shop where
they worked on the old steam locomotives in the 30s and 40s.  He lost
his hearing by the time he was in his early 40s to the point where he
could not match pitches.  I am blessed to be 57 and still have acute
hearing (I tune aurally), but I have protected my hearing since my late
20s by wearing over-the-ear and in-the-ear hearing protection when I use
power tools, lawn mower, chain saw, string trimmer (the latter two are
killers on our hearing) and even my tractor.  I've even worn them during
some of the Branson, MO. Shows-they are loud too!

=20

I've often quipped that the best long-term financial investment we could
make is to invest in hearing aid companies.  With the reinforced sound,
and I mean reinforced(!), that our youth and 20-somethings are exposed
to, as well as radios, ipods, etc., they will suffer severe nerve damage
in the next 20 years.  Sad to say, the above would be a good investment!

Joy!

Elwood

=20

Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT