[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:21:27 -0700

A few years ago I had a string of days back to back packed full of
tunings.  I was not using ear protection at that time.  After the third
day I was laying in bed at night, and my ears were ringing so loudly I
couldn't fall asleep.  Needless to say, I got a real fright, for the
future of my business as well as for my sanity!

I got custom fitted attenuators (15 dB) which I have been using ever
since.  That reduced the problem by at least 90%.

I doubt that tuners sticking their heads into pianos, doing test blows,
are subjecting themselves to anything as low as 45-60 dB.  I would
guess 85 +, with peaks quite a lot higher.   Anyone have any data on
that?

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info@pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

On Oct 28, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Jeff Olson wrote:
> I was surprised to learn that anyone believes that normal tuning would
> generate decibels anywhere close to ear-damaging levels.  My
> understanding is that the "average" person can safely tolerate eight
> hours of continous 85 db.  I'd guess the decibels normally generated
> by a piano tuning would be around 45 - 65 db, unless one is tuning the
> piano Jerry Lewis style :).
>
> I'm wondering what your basis would be for believing that tuning
> represents a threat to hearing (or does it simply seem more
> comfortable to you to wear earplug/filters?).  Is it personal
> experience, or are you aware of scientific studies that confirm this
> possibility (I'm not aware of any, but that doesn't mean they don't
> exist)?
>
> Best,
>
> JO

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...