[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:23:30 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Jeff wrote-

>So far, at age 50, I've experienced no hearing loss that I'm aware
>of.

Jeff-

The problem is, you won't be aware of it until after it has happened!
What I've been told is that the little nerve hairs in the inner ears gradually become fragile, and then eventually break off.  Until they break, your hearing is fine.  So you are acruing damage long before you are aware of it.

If your hearing is excellent, you'll be surprised how well you hear with 15db attenuators. They especially reduce the impact part of the sound.  Having become accustomed to tuning with ear plugs, I find it painful to tune the treble and high treble without plugs in any situation on any piano.

When I've finished the piano, I remove the earplugs and test the piano with long intervals played quietly.  I don't think I find anything I couldn't hear with the plugs in.  I just prefer a bit of gentle playing to hear the voicing and finish peacefully.

Ed S.