[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:12:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/28/2005 2:21:19 PM Central Standard Time,
jlolson@cal.net writes:

So far,  at age 50, I've experienced no hearing loss that I'm aware
of.  The  last hearing test I took, when I was 46, resulted in the
proclamation that  I had "superb hearing," so I don't feel the incentive to
start using noise  filters while tuning pianos -- though I could see that
changing if I found  myself in certain environments, such as Conrad was
describing.

Best,

JeffO

It is not so much hearing loss, as it is being irritated by the loud noise.
10 years ago, I walked out of several clubs because the band played too loud.
Once I went to an old time dinner theater with my family, and before the show
 started, they had music playing very loud while people were being seated.
That  put me into a deep depression. By the time the show actually started,
which  was amplified, I walked out, and sat in the bar by myself, sulking. I am
getting  the same feeling in church. As I said, my hearing is fine, but it is
the  tinnitus that is now bothering my psyche.

Wim