[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:02:32 -0500

At 10:45 AM 10/28/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>I was surprised to learn that anyone believes that normal tuning would
>generate decibels anywhere close to ear-damaging levels.  My understanding
>is that the "average" person can safely tolerate eight hours of continous
>85 db.  I'd guess the decibels normally generated by a piano tuning would
>be around 45 - 65 db, unless one is tuning the piano Jerry Lewis style :).
>
>I'm wondering what your basis would be for believing that tuning
>represents a threat to hearing (or does it simply seem more comfortable to
>you to wear earplug/filters?).  Is it personal experience, or are you
>aware of scientific studies that confirm this possibility (I'm not aware
>of any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist)?
>
>Best,
>
>JO

You is WAY low, Jeff. I think normal conversation is in that range.

Years ago (might be in archives) I posted my findings after carrying a dB
meter along with me for a day.

As I recall, even students practicing were in the 90s.  I was regularly
getting in the upper 90s whilst tuning.

Inside of the organ case, depending on rank of course, I was/am subjected
to 90 - 100+dB.

Chainsaw was 105dB...

Massed high school band festival, 108dB.

Threshold of pain 120dB.

OSHA wants you to start limiting your exposure at 90dB.

BTW, I took my readings on the "A" scale - fast response.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.