[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:45:01 -0700

I was surprised to learn that anyone believes that normal tuning would
generate decibels anywhere close to ear-damaging levels.  My understanding
is that the "average" person can safely tolerate eight hours of continous 85
db.  I'd guess the decibels normally generated by a piano tuning would be
around 45 - 65 db, unless one is tuning the piano Jerry Lewis style :).

I'm wondering what your basis would be for believing that tuning represents
a threat to hearing (or does it simply seem more comfortable to you to wear
earplug/filters?).  Is it personal experience, or are you aware of
scientific studies that confirm this possibility (I'm not aware of any, but
that doesn't mean they don't exist)?

Best,

JO