[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

central jorge1ml@mail.cmich.edu
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:27:25 -0400

Hello,
      Back in 1998, Ruth Laredo commented that =B3the keys go down too far=B2 o=
our then new D.   Dip at that time was about .415.  (This D has a high
string height).  Having wrestled with keydip question myself, I recently
asked Ralph Votapek about it.  His comment was that one could feel deeper
into the keys and get more power with deeper dip and possibly more control.
He doesn=B9t mind it.  Other worthy pianists have given me varied opinions.
My conclusion is that one size doesn=B9t necessarily fit all.
     Ed Foote=B9s post did a great job of pointing out the ruling grades for
keydip and how they vary.  Short of rebuilding the piano, replacing hammers
with different bore distance, or some other geometry alteration, there are
some choices/compromises we must make in regulating.  All we can do is
listen to the pianists comments on a particular instrument and make whateve=
compromise is suitable and hope that what pleases one will satisfy another.
I don=B9t think any hard-fast rule is going to suffice.
-Mike Jorgensen=20