[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:19:03 -0700

> Right now (with Crescendo punchings) dip is at .401" (my .391 block with a
> .010" punching added), blow around 1 3/4" with .030" aftertouch.  It feels a
> lot better <to me> than when the blow was at 1 7/8", though I didn't have any
> complaints when the dip was deeper.

What is it about the action that makes it "feel better" @ .401", 1 3/4" and
.030"? You're not "feeling" the blow, right? Are you feeling the depth of
the key travel, or are you feeling the aftertouch, which is just the measure
of the relationship of blow vis a vis dip. It feels better, but does it also
project well enough for the hall? How much space between the shank and
cushion? If you're seeing this piano continually, then you can minimize the
aftertouch (some), let-off and drop (I don't like much less than 1/16"). I
try for as much blow and as little dip as the piano will allow (bore
distance and stack height, etc as limiting factors). So having said this
.390-.406 and 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 are the guidelines I shoot for. In my experience
it's not common to have a piano that will allow .390 and 1 7/8".

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu