[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:46:18 +1000

Hi Mike and all,

There have been some good posts on this thread.

>. . .  I don't think any hard-fast rule is going to suffice.
>-Mike Jorgensen

With the exception of the final jack position relative to the roller, I agree.

The jack position (relative to the roller) at full key dip (with the
hammer in check) is probably the only hard-fast rule when it comes to
key dip/hammer blow considerations. Since the hammer/key ratio varies
so widely, as others have also mentioned, even within the one
brand/model of instrument, there will need to be an adjustment from
the standard spec of dip and/or blow in many situations. Increasing
the blow distance on a high-ratio action will tend to place the
already ordinary-relationship of the jack roller contact even further
away from its line of centers. Reducing the blow distance in the case
of a low ratio action will tend to improve it.

If the dip is insufficient for a given action ratio, the lack of
jack/roller clearance at check may cause the action to blubber at
let-off, particular when played softly. If the dip is set so deep as
to cause considerable clearance between the jack and roller at check
it will slow repetition.

The much mentioned problem of the hammer/key ratio varying so much
with the US S&S pianos got me thinking about the problem again
recently when retro-fitting one of my actions to another factory
piano (the instrument in question seemed to have a plate position
problem which was accommodated in the original action by fitting the
hammers 3 mm short of 130 mm. When I fitted my action I followed suit
and hung the hammers short also, since I wanted to keep my action
stack at the correct position with respect to the keyboard (to
preserve the action ratio I wanted - 5.7:1). The shorter hammer
position will reduce the hammer/key ratio, but only by a small amount.

In the factory situation, if the plate is not positioned according to
the standard specification, I believe it is inappropriate to shift
the action stack relative to the keyboard, in an attempt to shift the
strike position (line). If a piano is built with the plate out of
position, it should be a simple matter to tolerate a small adjustment
in the hammer position along the hammer shank. A 3 mm + or -
adjustment of a hammer from say a standard 130 mm standard distance
from the hammer center pin will allow for an out-of-position plate to
be accommodated without turning the action geometry into a disaster.

If an action stack is moved only 2 mm relative to the keyboard it
will have a major influence on the hammer/key ratio, which will cause
major headaches at regulation time (if the regulator is aiming to
obtain a workable regulation with standard specifications). The truth
is we often need to bend the specs somewhere, to get real-world
actions working at their optimum level.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY