[CAUT] Grease/Oil on upright pressure bar

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 23:28:33 -0400

Okay, Andrew, this explains the "bunch", and it qualifies for Harvey's
rule-of-six axiom: more than six of anything requires a different
approach -- whether keycovers, tuning pins, strings, hammers, or pianos.

I've only had hands-on with Boston grands, so can't speak to other
replies about how the verticals tune/feel. Since we seem to be getting
more details by the moment, I submit that only machine tools typically
get a liberal dose of "slickum" before shipping to help prevent rust
during transport and warehousing. Piano manufacturers know better, so
the most they do is special absorbent paper, silica gel or other
desiccant, then sometimes sealing the pianos in plastic, etc.

Staff technicians are at less risk for scrutiny than part-time,
as-needed folks. In your case, I might suggest documenting this
situation. You've already begun by commenting here. Other supporting
materials, evidence, etc. may help, such as samples of the material
you've collected. Not trying to sound over-dramatic, but you may want to
think like the forensics folks. Use a sterile swab or other to collect a
sample of the lubricious material. Photos are good, but likely out of
the question for this situation.

Eight (or more) of the same brand and type of pianos in one place (the
school), and with the same set of negative conditions are enough to get
a manufacturer's attention! They may want their representative to
evaluate this personally. At a minimum, they may want another opinion
from an "expert" (someone from more than 25 miles away -- or in your
case, probably 100 miles), and in this case, one who has NOT been
involved with those instruments.

You should also continue to practice gentle persuation with the prof,
chair, committee, whomever, and do so in writing. Poor school or not,
they need to be informed of the situation and the down-stream
potentials. All this is as much for YOU as it is for them. Otherwise,
when the next 'PRN' is contracted, YOU become the last person who was
exposed to these pianos. I've found a lot of faculty tend to have even
shorter memories than I.

The manufacturer may say they didn't do it (probably true so be ready
for it). OTOH, considering there are a significant number of their units
"exposed", they may elect to intervene in some manner. This comes under
the "implied warranty" or "peace of mind assurance" that is undocumented
but actually exists with manufacturers. Also, depending on the schools
resources, this may qualify for some type of insurance claim, again
depending on the extent and costs of correction.

As a final thought, I've also seen vandalism that was very discrete. One
example was the application of one drop of (some type of) lubricant to
each tuning pin where it entered the block. In this case, nothing
happened to tuning stability! That is, until the first time a tuning
lever was applied to the pin! Once the initial "stiction" was disturbed,
the string tension lowered pitch real fast!

Jim Harvey
PS: I'm really curious about the "yellow" part. Sulfer content? Dunno,
might be right in there with disguising arsenic with coloring before
applying to the insides of pianos.