[CAUT] Grease/Oil on upright pressure bar

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:42:02 -0600

Hi Andrew,
     Probably the only way to remove the grease would be to lower
pitch enough to fit a rag between strings and pressure bar. I would
use a rag dipped in a solvent like mineral spirits and rung out, and
work it back and forth between strings and pressure bar, then fish it
between strings and v-bar. Do a couple unisons at a time. Experiment,
see if it is working for you. You might also want to check to see
that whoever lubed it didn't also loosen the pressure bar screws. See
it there seems to be a reasonable angle of string between speaking
length and the part going under the bar. With as little friction as
you describe, I would get suspicious.
     A somewhat similar situation arises with spills of soda,
especially of the cola varieties. A bit of the sticky stuff gets
between strings and v-bar, with an amazingly deadening effect. If you
don't manage to wipe the under side of the string, as well as the
bar, you won't solve the problem. In that case, a damp rag is
necessary. I've fooled with Q-tips, brushes, moving strings back and
forth, and come to the conclusion that unless you actually physically
rub between the string and the bar, you won't get it all. Agraffes
are worse, because you can't easily remove the string, though you can
move the sticky part of the string out of the agraffe.
     Which is the answer to a question you didn't ask, but at least
it's a question I know an answer for <g>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm@unm.edu