[CAUT] Grease/Oil on upright pressure bar

Andrew Anderson andrew@andersonmusic.com
Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:20:10 -0500

Jim,
This affects some 8, possibly more, upright 'Boston' pianos.  One has
a dead bass unison.  It is in the deep bass and I'll have to check to
see if it is lubricant related.  The bass section did seem to tune
normally.  These pianos probably came with tight pin-blocks and
springy pins.  That someone would try lubricating the pressure bar to
improve that surprises me.  It definitely isn't rusty, just yields
this oily yellow stuff and dirt when you drag a rag under it.
At first I was thinking a mis-guided "rust-proofing" effort but it is
an upright and gravity will do its work so that could account for the
oily strings.  I was hoping to come up with something that would not
involve air pollution (solvents) or removing the bars.  Looks like
that is the only solution that will really get the job done.  A heat
gun or torch really risks pushing me towards re-stringing besides
burnishing the plate paint or worse, burning it. :-[
I wondered at first if someone had fooled with the pressure bars but
the position does look average for the pianos:  a couple degrees rise
from the coils to the bar and much more (20 -30 guestimated) from the
bar to the termination point on the plate.

I'll go back to the worst one at some point a see how its doing and
check out that dead bass unison more carefully.  I did ask the piano
proff. off hand if anyone had wanted to "treat" the pianos, he wasn't
aware of any such plan.  I guess I may end up being the bearer of bad news.

Andrew