[CAUT] Mapes single bass string... resolution...

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 18:37:37 EDT

<< If anyone knows a reason why bass strings would, in fact, have a shelf
life, if handled as indicated above, I'd like to know. >>

I have a set of D strings that I bought in 1982.  They are kept in a sealed
container, straight.  The last one I used was last year,and it sounded like a
new string when I brought it up to pitch.
     I don't think it matters whether you store them unwound or not,  the
plastic deformation limits of the copper/steel are instantaneous, I think.  Once
you have wound these strings in a loop, whatever shifts or movements in the
winding are there.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT