[CAUT] Mapes single bass string... resolution...

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:30:46 -0400

First, it seems that there is some variation as to the mechanics of string
making (apart from any differences in materials).  Tension on core and
winding, initial twisting of core, roughing of core, shape of core,
etc.  Ed says that whatever distortion is to take place in string will
happen immediately, and not progressively over time.  On the other hand,
Andrew Anderson's statement suggests the opposite:

>The indication regarding shelf life involves winding the strings under
>tension.  That way the windings don't become loose when the string is
>brought back up to tension.  A least one maker I'm aware of recommends
>getting them up to tension ASAP on arrival.  I suppose strings could be
>hung strait with weights attached or some sort of wrack made with hitch
>pins on one end and tuning pins in a block on the other end.  Most custom
>strings come with enough excess to allow that.

This seems to imply that there is some progressive movement of the
tensioned core in relation to the windings which, if allowed to reach some
equilibrium, would cause the coils to become loose when the string is
ultimately installed.  This strikes me as unlikely.  The benefit from
"pre-stretching" might simply lie in insuring the immediate stability of an
installed string.

Would there be consensus among string makers about these basic
mechanics?  Perhaps we can gather some responses from them.

David Skolnik