[CAUT] Mapes single bass string... resolution...

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 16:43:01 -0500

David:

I open them as soon as I receive them and put them on their rings and
they hang straight there in the shop.  Our climate is pretty benign and
they seem to do fine.  On the rings where the strings are kept I have
punchings between each 5 strings with the number of the strings on each
side so I don't have to count from the first string to find #37.  The
first punching has 5 on one side and 6 on the other, then next has 10 on
one side and 11 on the other etc.  The system has worked pretty well.
All of our practice room pianos (the ones that break the most) are
either Ms, Ls or 1B.  I have thought of keeping strings for the Ds but
they break so seldom that it hasn't seemed worth the investment.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
David Skolnik
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:27 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Mapes single bass string... resolution...

David P-
I used to keep multiple sets, for most of the models (St. M,L,B).  I
would
enter in a string log book whenever one was used from inventory and
periodically order replacements.  I don't believe there is a shelf life,

per se, but I would take some steps to be safe.
-  Order strings in largest possible loop or, even better,  straight PVC

pipe, such as what Arledge uses
-  If sent in loop, open and hand immediately
-  Keep in vented, humidity controlled cabinet, as with tuning pins and
plain wire

If anyone knows a reason why bass strings would, in fact, have a shelf
life, if handled as indicated above, I'd like to know.

David Skolnik