[CAUT] Mapes single bass string... resolution...

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 18:19:48 -0500

Alan:

This is probably not an ideal way to do this, but I keep sets of strings
for Ms, Ls and Bs on rings in the shop.  Then when a string breaks I can
just go grab a replacement.  When I take one off the ring, I put a
punching on the ring in its place and put the string number on it.
About once a month I just email an order to Schaff for those missing
strings.  I don't know if bass strings have a shelf-life but if they do
some of mine are probably past it but I hate leaving strings off pianos
any longer than I have to.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Alan Crane
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 4:25 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: [CAUT] Mapes single bass string... resolution...

At 07:32 PM 10/3/05, you wrote:
>I'm frustrated (and its past quitting time on a Monday...)...

That was then_________ this is now.          :)

In all fairness to Mapes, I should relate the rest of the story.
Shortly after I posted my frustrations on CAUT, I sent an e-mail to
Donna Ward (the contact person whose e-mail address appears on the
Mapes web site) detailing the history of this particular string order.
She sent me a very prompt and kind reply offering to credit the
mis-made string and to forward my e-mail on to the plant so they
could make a third try at it if I so wished.
The string arrived today (they do ship quickly!) and was exactly to
the specs. I'd given them.
Its back in the piano... the students are back in the practice
room... and I'm back in my shop trying to figure out how to get all
the work done and still see some of the approaching weekend!!

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music
Wichita State University